Increasingly young people are finding it harder and harder to manage their emotions effectively resulting in behaviour that can be challenging, disruptive and upsetting to the young person themselves and those around them. Parent and carers are particularly affected by this. Here are some top tips on helping young people to manage their emotions effectively.
- Provide as much stability and consistency as possible
- Accept your child’s emotions and emotional responses
- Talk about your own feelings
- Encourage children to talk about feelings without judgement
- Model emotional regulation
- Teach children positive self talk
- Identify typical situations that cause emotional outbursts and help children plan strategies to help them manage these
- Praise children’s efforts to regulate their emotions.
Coaching for Progress are currently developing programmes to help children effectively emotionally regulate. Email us for more details.